Health Center COVID-19 Information
The Student Health Center is following guidelines from the American College Health Association (ACHA) for its operational plans. Plans have been developed with the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and medical providers as our priority.
- Students are advised to call for an appointment before coming to the Student Health Center
- No walk-in appointments except for acute injuries/emergency situations, which will be assessed for symptoms first and then fit into the appointment schedule
- When arriving for an appointment, students should call the front desk (865-2422) from outside to inform staff they have arrived
- All students reporting for an appointment will be screened for respiratory symptoms and have their temperature checked before entering the center
- All students reporting for an appointment will be required to wear a face mask
- Protocols will be developed for managing students with acute respiratory symptoms. Examples include limiting staff contacts with that student, separating him or her from others, and cleaning spaces where that student was present
- Students will not be allowed to bring guests with them to appointments. In addition, the Health Center will prohibit visitors, guests, vendors/pharmaceutical reps or any other unannounced/unofficial visitors from entering the facility
- All students presenting with COVID-19 symptoms (symptomatic) will be tested on-site and immediately placed in isolation pending test results. Names of close contacts of symptomatic student will be gathered at this time
- Steps will be taken to ensure that staff members are up to date with current information about COVID-19 symptoms, transmission, and protocols, as provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Rhode Island Department of Health
- The College will ensure that personal protective equipment (PPE) is available and that all staff are trained in its use
- The SHC will manage personnel carefully, with consideration for high-risk staff member assignments, by limiting the number of providers who participate in each patient’s care and implementing systems for carefully tracking the exposure of staff members to each patient
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What should a student do if he/she has symptoms of COVID-19?
A. If a student has symptoms of COVID-19, they should call the Student Health Center at 401.865.2422 to arrange to be seen by a provider. Any person experiencing symptoms of illness must avoid in-person interactions with the campus community until they receive results of their test. If a symptomatic case tests positive for SARS-CoV-2, this individual is then considered a confirmed COVID-19 case, and they will follow the College’s isolation procedures.
Q. What do I do if I am sick/injured, but not with COVID-19 symptoms?
A. The Student Health Center is open to see all cases of illness/injury. Students who need to see a provider in the Student Health Center (SHC) are advised to call to make an appointment (at 401.865.2422). No walk-in appointments except for acute injuries/emergency situations which will be assessed for symptoms first and then fit into the Student Health Center appointment schedule. All students reporting for an appointment in the Student Health Center will be screened for respiratory symptoms and have their temperature checked before entering the SHC. All students reporting for an appointment will be required to wear a face mask. Students will not be allowed to bring guests with them to appointments.